Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Brownies? Churros? Funnel Cake?

So, this weekend me and my boyfriend will be throwing a housewarming.  We just moved into a new place and we love it!  And being that I am addicted to sweets, I cannot decide what kind of dessert to make!  I could make some funnel cakes, which everyone loves with some ice cream and cooked fruit.  Or a brownie of sort which would always be a delight for the chocoholics, but what about those who do not like chocolate?  Then there is the churro, which is good and simple, but it is fried and that means lots of oil.   After thinking about all of these choices, I decided on a deep fried ice cream.  Taking the idea of the brownie and wrapping the ice cream with it, and then dipping it in a batter and deep frying.  But that will just be the end result.  I want to share with you the recipe for the brownies that I will use.

12 ounces semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup butter

6 tablespoons butter
9 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoons vanilla


6 eggs
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoons vanilla
3/4 teaspoons almond extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Melt chocolate and 1/2 cup butter and set aside to cool.
To make the cream cheese batter, with a whip attachment cream 6 tablespoons butter than add the cream cheese and continue mixing. Add the sugar, beat until fluffy then beat in the eggs, then flour, and vanilla. Set aside.
For the chocolate batter, in a separate bowl whip the eggs and sugar until fluffy. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and mix into egg mixture. Mix in the melted chocolate and butter, and the extracts.
In a rectangular pan, lined with parchment, spread half the chocolate mixture. Spread the cream cheese layer over that to cover, then drop remaining chocolate batter by spoonfuls on top then swirl with a knife. Bake for 40 minutes.
Once the brownies are baked and cooled, I just cut them into thin slices and wrap scoops of ice cream with them.  Then make sure to freeze the prepared ice cream for at least a couple hours, then drop them into a batter, beer or sweet, then fry them up in some oil that has been heated up to about 350 degrees.  But make sure not to fry them for too long, about a minute should be enough.
I’ve made these before for other parties and they have always been a favorite.  But I made sure to make a couple with pound cake as well, just so that everyone has something that they’d like.  The first time I decided not to make these for a party, I had a couple of friends asking for them and I made a quick batch out of regular brownies.  So I hope you and your friends enjoy them as well.   
Happy chomps and nibbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment