Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lemon Bars

These lemon bars, I believe are the ones that were sold at a little cafe in Los Angeles.  I believe they are really good lemon bars and that they taste unbelievably close to the ones that I had tried at this one place.  I don't want to say where but I think that all lovers of lemon bars might know where it was that that they were good.  I think that there was a thicker lemon layer in the one that I had tried, but these are so close that you'd probably get the same by adding more of the filling and baking them for a little longer.
I guess the secretiveness of this entry might not be necessary, but I don't want to get into any trouble with anyone so, I think that I will leave the name of this place out, just in case.

Lemon Bars
8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
pinch of salt

6 eggs
3 cups sugar
zest from about 6 lemons
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup flour
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the flour and the salt and mix on low.  Flatten the dough into a 8 by 8 inch baking pan, building up a 1 inch edge on all sides.  Chill.  Bake the crust until very lightly browned.  Cool.
Whisk together sugar and flour, then add the lemon juice, eggs and lemon zest.  Pour over the crust and bake until the filling is set.  There should not be any jiggling when tapped.  Then cool and cut and dust with powdered sugar.

They will make you pucker but they will taste sweet and make you want to take another bite.  I hope that these will be a staple in your homes just as it has become in mine.  Happy chomps and nibbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment