Friday, January 6, 2012

Apple Salad

When I was younger, my mom used to make this fruit salad that I just loved.  It was creamy, while crisp and sweet and overall just delicious.  The funny thing is that I was reminded of this salad when I heard a radio segment about different foods and dishes that remind others of the holiday season.  One of these dishes that the callers called in about was an apple salad.  It had apples, raisins, and peanuts, but the kicker is that it was mixed with mayo.  The story was that while trying to make an ambroisa salad, she realized that she didn’t have all the ingredients.  All she had was apples, peanuts, raisins and mayonnaise.  So she went with it and made that as the salad.  When everyone had tried it at the dinner table, everyone loved it and in so becoming a staple on their holiday table.

But my family’s version is a bit different.  My mom used to make a fruit salad with any type of fruit, nuts and raisins.  To bring the whole salad together, my mom used mayonnaise as the dressing but to add a little sweetness and creaminess she also added a spoonful of non-dairy creamer in powder form.  I just love the apples and raisins that are in this salad, and the nuts always bring a crunch too.

This maybe one of the weirder sounding salads, but it is delicious and worth a try. 

Happy chomps and nibbles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment