Friday, January 20, 2012

Korean Mocha Bread

I came home to find a Korean Mocha Bread sitting on the counter in the kitchen.  I didn't think much of it, but thought it'll be a good snack with some tea or some hot chocolate.  It was so delicious that I ate half a loaf in one sitting.  Of course I had just taken 2 slices upstairs at first and had to make a couple of trips downstairs to get more.  So I hope that I burned some of those calories from the trip up and down the stairs.

But as I finished the loaf the next day, I thought maybe just maybe I could make it at home.  Make more of the bread that I was hooked on and make it more delicious. So I went hunting on the internet for a recipe to start with.  Its a pretty easy recipe.  I found it on www.misscooktocook.blogspot.com.  I think that it tasted great but I thought that the biscuit topping was a little too dry and needed a little more sugar.  So I tweeked it.


So now the recipe is as follows:
400 grams AP Flour
60 grams Sugar
8 grams Salt
6 grams Instant Coffee
12 grams Dry Yeast
40 grams Butter
2 Eggs
114 grams Luke Warm Water

100 grams Butter
70 grams Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
24 grams Milk
1 tsp. Instant Coffee
186 grams AP Flour
4 grams Baking Powder

So I set out to make this bread a second time.  But of course I run out of eggs.  So I thought maybe I should take this as a chance to make it without eggs, make it vegan.  So I pondered and pondered, and searched google to find a way to do this.  I learned that eggs can be substituted with bananas or applesauce.  So I tried it by substituting the 2 eggs with a banana or a quarter cup of applesauce, the egg yolk with a quarter of a banana, replacing the milk with just water and the butter with margarine.  I am in the process of trying this recipe out but I will be back with the results soon.

Happy chomps and nibbles!

No comments:

Post a Comment