Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Doughnuts...or is it donuts?

I woke up today with a craving for doughnuts.  Or is it donuts?  I can never remember which was correct.  Anyways, I want some doughnuts, so I make some.  I know there are like a million doughnut shops out there, in fact, there's one just across the street from me.  I just can't seem to make them like those doughnut places.  But how can I not try my hand at doughnuts especially if I find a recipe that has an out of place ingredient?  I saw that the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of mashed potato and I had to make it. 

I googled doughnut recipe and found a website that was called secret donut recipe, how could I not check that one out?  Everybody loves to know a secret, right?  So I check, and watch the video and all that, and I got the recipe.  It is simple and all the ingredients are pretty much in the cupboard at any time which make it convienient.  So here is the recipe that I found that seemed most simple.

2tablspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
5 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup milk

Warm the milk to just above body temperature.  Then add the yeast and mix until dissolved.  The milk should not be too hot or it will kill the yeast.  Mix the flour, salt, sugar, and potato.  Then add the milk mixture into the dry ingredients.  Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick and cut out the doughnuts.  Fry them in oil that has been warmed to about 375 degrees F until golden brown.

So I make the recipe and it is delicious.  I didn't even make a glaze for them.  I just topped it with a sprinkle of sugar and that was done.  Now the next time I try making these suckers, I might go with a green tea glaze or some maple with bacon flavorings, but for this week, enjoy the doughnuts.
Happy chomps and nibbles!

No comments:

Post a Comment