Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Favorite Carrot Cake

I wanted to make a cake that was somewhat healthy for you while being delicious and moist.  I decided that anything that had vegetables or fruits in it would be healthy to narrow the choices down a bit.  Then I came upon this recipe for carrot cake and thought: carrots, what could be healthier than carrots?  So I made some to enjoy with my boyfriend, and to also show him that carrot cake could be yummy and just as good as any other cake out there.  But just in case he didn't agree with me, I added a little marzipan carrot on top to make them just a little more appealing.


My recipe
4 eggs
6 ounces vegetable oil
14 ounces sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
9 ounces all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 lb grated carrots
2 1/2 ounces chopped walnuts

Whip the eggs, oil, and sugar until light and fluffy.  Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.  Fold the dry ingredients into the eggs and oil mixture in 3 batches and then fold in the carrots and the walnuts.  Place in pan and bake.

Of course there has to a frosting on it and of course it has to be a cream cheese frosting otherwise it wouldn't be a carrot cake.

1 pound cream cheese, softened
12 ounces butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Then add sifted powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth again.

I made these into individual little cakes by baking them on a sheet pan and using cookie cutters to cut out the shapes and assembling them.  But they can be made in a 9 inch cake pan to make a delicious 9 inch cake and decorate with marzipan carrots and the like.  Hope this recipe is found to be one of your favorites as well.
Happy chomps and nibbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment