Thursday, February 16, 2012

Steamed Rice Cake Muffins


This week I tried to make a steamed rice cake muffin.  I had just tried some Putuhan, a Filipino steamed rice cake, and had really enjoyed it.  Even if it was just a plain rice flavored one.  But I wasn't allowed to have more than a couple of these little bite sized treats.  I wanted more but since my boyfriend wanted to take some to work the next day, couldn't, so today I made some. But since I didn't want to do one that was just rice flavored, I chose to do one that was green tea and chocolate flavored. The first attempt needed a little bit more of the green tea flavor so in the next batch I doubled the green tea, but also reserved some of the batter to add some cocoa powder.  I think these came out great, but the second batch was a bit dryer and a bit more dense.  I forgot to take into account the cocoa powder. 
Overall, they were delicious and I thought they were good enough to share.  I did not come up with the recipe that I started with but, as always made it my own.  I found it on asiarecipe.com/phidesserts.html.  

2 cups rice flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons green tea powder or 2 Tablespoon cocoa powder and 2 Tablespoons more milk
2 cups milk

Sift the first five ingredients together.  In a mixing bowl, add milk to sifted ingredients and blend well to make a smooth mixture.  Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full.  Cook in a steamer for 40 minutes.  Test for doneness, muffins are done when toothpick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. 

Hope you enjoy!  Happy nibbles and chomps!

No comments:

Post a Comment